Monday, December 8, 2008

Reconstruction surgery scheduled 12/10/2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Fink Holloway
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008
Subject: Please pray about the next surgery

This morning I had an appointment at North Hills Surgery Center for pre-op work, and another appointment with my plastic surgeon, Dr. Atwood. The surgery for the next part of the reconstruction will be this Wednesday, December 10th at 7:30 a.m.

This operation will "remove the tissue expander in my right breast, create a breast pocked and place a permanent reconstructive breast prosthesis." I also plan to have the port that was used for chemotherapy removed from the left side. The port has been there since September 12, 2007, and I'm very grateful that my doctors do not feel that it is needed any longer.

This will be a one day surgery, and if all goes well, I expect to be back at work Monday, December 15. Please pray that I will not have any infections or complications.

I am so grateful for all of you who have been praying for my health all along. It is working. Several co-workers and relatives, including my husband, have been quite sick with colds, bronchitis, etc. I have not been sick, and it looks very much like the surgery will go forward as scheduled. I thank the Lord for that. The tissue expander is quite uncomfortable and I've heard the real implant will be better. I sure hope it is.

Initially, there will be discomfort--of course. I am supposed to sleep on my back for several days, and for two weeks wear a bra at all times--even in bed. The tissue expander has been a pain and eventually I expect to be able to sleep better when it is removed. Sometimes the pain radiates down my right arm and I hope that will get better too. You can also pray that I won't have a capsular contracture--that would make the implant hard and uncomfortable (like the tissue expander). Since I had radiation, I am at risk for that complication and for lymphedema. A few days after surgery Dr. Atwood plans to show me some things I can do to help prevent contractures, but when it comes right down to it, I know the good Lord will need to provide the healing touch. Doctors can cut and sew, and do marvelous things, but ultimately I look to the Lord for my healing.

Thank you so very much for your prayers and your friendship.

No comments: