Monday, May 12, 2008

Last Radiation Treatment on May 9th

From: Fink Holloway Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008

This has been a week-end to celebrate!! Today is Mother’s Day! I thank God for a godly mother who continues to be an inspiration to me at age 91!

Here's my mom, Gladys Finkenbinder with Josiah, her great-grandson.

And I’m grateful the privilege of being a mother. I am a happy mother. Some who hear the words “Happy Mother’s Day” do not have much to celebrate. Proverbs 10:1 says “A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son grief to his mother.” I feel joy because our children are a blessing to me and to others. They love the Lord and have all been a wonderful support during my treatments and surgeries, and I am extremely grateful.

Friday, May 9 was special for three reasons:

1. May 9th is Janelle Holloway’s birthday, and I am grateful for her and for Brittney Holloway. These wonderful daughter-in-laws are terrific mothers to our grandchildren. It does a granny’s heart good to see that her grandchildren have a mom that loves them immensely.

2. I had my last radiation treatment on May 9th!! So I am done with that step, and really I am feeling pretty good.

I am tempted to say “I am not just done, I am WELL DONE.” Radiation does tend to cause skin irritation like a bad sun burn. Some of my skin handled the treatments quite well and I am grateful for that. Near my arm pit the skin became very red and it is peeling. Along my shoulder and at the top of my back there is a place with an itch reminds me of the poison ivy itch. I did not expect the radiation to affect any skin on my back as well as my chest, and I have never had a sun burn that itches the way this does. I asked if it could be poison ivy, but they said it was from the radiation too. Fortunately, I am finished with the radiation treatments now and my skin will be getting better. It will take a couple weeks or more to heal so continue to pray for that. You can also pray that I will give myself adequate time to rest and recover. The fatigue that accompanies radiation has sent me to bed early a few times, and I took a nap today. I am prone to push onward, but I do realize that my body needs extra rest. So you can pray that I use wisdom as I plan my days.

3. Sharon’s graduation ceremonies began May 9th with the Honors Commencement Ceremony at the Student Union.

Then she walked with all the other graduates from University of Arkansas Saturday, May 10th at Bud Walton Arena.

Although Sharon actually finished her degree in Music with emphasis in Music Theory and Piano Performance last December, it was great to celebrate her accomplishments and with all the others. Pray that God will give her wisdom for the next step. The University of Arkansas and Oklahoma University have both encouraged her to attend their graduate school. Offers of money for an assistantship are being discussed.

I also wish you would pray for Joseph and Janelle who are on a missions trip in the Middle East. Joseph and Janelle will return May 20. Pray that God will lead them to the people who are hungry to know more about Jesus and for good health and their safety as they travel.

I thank all of you for your prayers and support.

Love,
Fink

No comments: